Thursday, July 28, 2011

No Bambi for Sarah or Mommy

It was a good day and we were wrapping it up with snuggling and reading before going to bed. Silly mommy picked up Bambi from the library the other day and decided to read to Sarah and Sammy. The words and literature painted beautiful pictures for us... but I should have known....

We were reading well until we came to part when the the hunter fires into the woods and at mother's advice, Bambi ran ahead only to stop and realize that his mother has disappeared for good. The book was subtle to suggest that Bambi's mother had died by simply indicated that Bambi's mother was no longer found with the rest of the deer. Sarah looked at me and asked me cautiously, "Where is the mother?" 

Even though I knew, I said, "I don't know".  I couldn't believe that I could not find the courage to tell my 4 year old daughter what really happened. Kinda feel like Peter denying Christ.

But she knew. I saw the wave of emotions surge in her and she immediately hid under her covers. She was hiding from me - she was hiding her emotions from me. I felt a sudden wave of emotions too when I saw her reaction. Then after some pulling away of covers, Sarah abruptly pointed to a mosquito bite acquired during that evening's walk and buried herself in my arms and cried. My poor sweet daughter was trying so hard to hide and suppress her sadness...but I knew because I felt my tears welling within me." 

On a lighter note, our dear Sammy was also concern and he wanted to beat the bad hunter. 

No more Bambi. No more Dumbo. The realities of life are really painful sometimes. 

No comments: