Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Mind Unkinked: Relearning to Teach

I feel my mind thinking and reflecting much about the education system and asking much about my kids education. So two weeks ago, when my kids are under my parents care, I took a slow browsing trip to Popular Bookshop. And I am amazed at the range of assessment books that have been produced for the preschooler, the kindergartner and for the primary school child. Not surprising, the assessment books have titled themselves as 'Success', 'A*', 'Achiever'.. etc you get the picture. It's not difficult to see how these marketing techniques strike a chord with success stricken Singaporean parents. It was an educational browsing trip for me. But I was on a mission that day with several objectives - firstly, to understand the milieu of education now confronting Singaporean parents and students. Secondly, to understand the scope and range of knowledge a typical schoolgoing child is exposed to and expected to know. Thirdly, to purchase appropriate materials for Sarah and Samuel. 

For myself, I purchased the Singapore Model of Mathematics [a book that deals with the Singapore development, progress and success of the model method now widely used in US and UK and other parts of the world]. I also wanted to know firsthand how a child builds his/ her concept in maths from Primary 1 through Primary 6. Haha... I think I stumbled through Primary School Maths without knowing why I did what I did. And I got a pocket PSLE Science Guide book which provides an overview of the Science topics that a student is expecting to know for PSLE. The Science Book is interesting because a quick thumb through reveals the many curiosities that Sarah and Samuel has expressed interest in. 

Getting a bird's eye view of these subjects is important for me not because I want my kids to be ahead of their time. On the contrary, a bird's eye view would allow me to dedicate appropriate timing to academic and still allow the kids to pursue their other disciplines such as music, art, history, geography, literature, languages, God's word, nature, sports, outdoors, cooking and even doing household chores from 6 years onwards and not just from 13 years of age onwards. I think all these disciplines truly allows one to develop into a complete person and be an effective instrument for mankind and God. 

For the kids, I have been looking actively for materials for their 'Sky is Blue' lapbook lesson. And for me and the kids to arrive at the final conclusion means to consider the properties of light, the colors white light is made out of, what are the gases found in the atmosphere, reflection and absorption and wavelength. Phew...It will undoubtedly take a long time but what I find powerful and essential about this form of learning is that information learnt is purposeful and it works towards man understanding their vast universe. Learning is not sporadic nor arbitrary. But...the only material I found available was Primary 3/4 interactive Science textbook which deals with some properties of light. It was good enough for a start. In fact, I find more corroboration in my search with educators and parents in the States - where learning is fuel by curiosity and real problems rather than merely motivated by syllabus. 

So I spent a total of 2 hours at Popular, bought a 3 year membership card and spent quite a bit on maths and science books for my reference - of course not to forget, some Little Einstein Books for Sarah and Sammy's immediate interests. 

No comments: