Saturday, July 02, 2011

Reformation of Their Minds: Nature and Discovery

[pardon my cynicism in the following paragraph]

I remembered P4 Science where I had to memorize this small palm size book on Pond Life. It was tedious. The insects and plants all looked pretty similar [in my opinion] in the photos and I really wasn't interested in Pond Life, nor the Leaf Community. I was never in awe of nature or even how all things work together in the eco-system. That made my learning even more difficult.

Why do we even have to learn about plants or wild life? How is it relevant? Why do the examinations even test it? Are schools really interested in producing botanists, zoologists or scientists? Sure, our teachers made some commendable attempt to lug a busload of kids off to the Science Centre but I half suspect that our teachers were not even interested in wild life to begin with. In our economic driven country, I am surprise that nature is even featured in its pragmatic plan of Singapore education. Perhaps its a feeble attempt to incite the interest of future botanists and zoologists - not that these careers are even encouraged in our country.

Do we encounter the need to identify poisonous fruits and plants? Not if we are stranded on a deserted forest struggling for our survival and it would really help if we had on hand an encyclopedia of jungle plants and fruits. But with ipad or the handy iphone, do we really need to have these facts on hand? The only thing Singaporeans are concern when they see a pond=body of water is if it is breeding aedes mosquitoes...haha

After I posted this entry, I went on to read the MOE Science Syllabus and realize that it is well written. And in 2008, there seems to be a theoretical commitment to move away from traditional transfer of information towards a student directed inquiry. That's encouraging...but I think it will take a long while because I think that most of the implementers [Principals, to HODs, to teachers etc...] may not be fully understand the true goals of education. They are too caught up in the rut of trying to make education appear successful. And Education still seems like a superficial means to move through the ranks of society.

As for myself and many others, our parents made commendable effort to seek out places of retreat for the families beside the sea, in the parks, at the nature reserves, at reservoirs, at the zoo. I remember my many trips to West Coast Park and I enjoy every one of them...but I believe we can go further. These trips would trigger off our natural interest in creation but I believe, it will not last. These seeds of interest needs to be carefully cultivated through purposeful discussions, readings and exploration, lest it be choked with the pragmatic weeds of expediency, examinations and just a lack of time. Catching dragonflies, monitor lizards and beetles and tying them with string and making them our temporary pets are a great source of fun....but we should not stop there. There is so much to explore and probe and question and appreciate and enjoy. 

As I give Nature a new chance with clearer views on education, I am more convinced in the virtues of studying nature. In fact,  Nature and Discovery is one of the major areas that we will be embarking on. Firstly, it is very relevant for us. Where we are living, our home is literally teeming with nature. Every other day Sarah or Sammy would point to an insect and ask what it is - from ladybugs, to mole crickets, to grasshoppers to butterflies - I sure hope we don't find a snake in the house. Secondly, I really want the kids to take time amidst all the technological advances, to appreciate what God has made. Lastly, importantly, it is through the abundance of nature in where we live that I hope to train the mental muscles of:
  • Observation [of details]
  • Enquiry [and eventually Systematic Enquiry and Classification]


I decided to help Sarah with her line of questioning by coming up with a list of questions. I hope that in due time, she would be able to probe independently as she encounters nature in her own time. As for Sammy, I need to stop him from destroying the specimens that we have caught. Hahaha....

I am all ready with my fave buy from Kluang: Rain Boots [RM12.99]



No comments: