Thursday, April 01, 2010

Finally...Healthy Banana Apple Chocolate Muffins finishes the breakfast routine.

Ok...I think I have come to the last of my breakfast recipes. Smoothies are churning out at least 3 times a week. Extra smoothie now make simple popsicles for those after mealtime desserts. Apricot and cheese omelette are whipped up in a quick 7 minutes as we rush off to send Daddy to work or somewhere. And Noah's ark is prepared about twice a week for those slower mornings. And for the final recipe, I think I have experimented with about 5 batches of different muffins - from Bananas to Zucchini, to Bananas to Chocolate to Bananas to Apple and Chocolate. 

I think I have finally got the consistency that I am pleased with after experimenting with position of tray in oven, the baking time and the amount of egg used. We have been popping these muffins in during breakfast, during those late nights with Daniel as he studies and for those for fun times when the tummy is growling just before meal times. What I really like about this recipe is that it has NO butter, NO oil [save for the olive oil that greases the tin] and everything is really either gluten free or organic. Investing in organic ingredients seems costly at the outset but knowing that I can make many different batches of muffins and pop them into my mouth and my family's mouth anytime without any guilt is really a worthwhile investment. Nowadays, I go past shops and see fluffy [often means filled with butter and milk] muffins sold for $2 or more, I think it is exorbitant and unhealthy. These are just photos from a couple of attempts. I just got stopped taking after these because I was busying trying to find out what works and what does not:)


[Make a dozen muffins]  - I got this from recipezaar and read the reviews and made the modifications suggested there for a healthier option. 
  • 3/4 cup organic whole wheat flour
  • 3/4 cup gluten free self raising flour
  • 1 large organic egg
  • 3 ripe bananas [use the same bunch of bananas from smoothies] 
  • 4 tablespoons organic applesauce
  • 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon of baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
  • 1/2 cup of organic brown sugar [vary according to health requirements]
  • 1/2 of chopped up dark chocolate [this adds some antioxidant into the muffins]
  • 2 chopped organic apples 
The above serves as a base for any other healthy fruits you want to add for added taste. I tried chopped apples and I like it very much. I think it would be fun to experiment with blueberries, raspberries etc. For the more adventurous cooks, mash up pumpkins and other vegetables and add it in. Your tots will never know. The bananas seem to make up for the lack of butter and I am amazed at how such a simple change to the original muffins doesn't much compromise on taste. Pop the extras in the freezer to last the week. 

So here we have it, the close of the chapter on healthy breakfast for kids:) 

No comments: