Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Educating Sarah and Samuel: To Know God's World

As we observe Sarah's and Samuel's immense propensity to learn, I suddenly find myself returning to the planning room and thinking and reading about different ways to teach them about God's world. It's reminiscent of my lesson planning days as a teacher, only this time, the goals and motivation are so different. There are so many ways to introduce them to the world out there and in doing so, for them to appreciate the God who created all of it. Sarah's favorite mode of learning and I suspect is Samuel's too is experiential...and that comes best in the form of "holidays". They learn as they chase after armies of soldier crabs in Port Dickson, they learn as they "gawk" at swallows flying across their heads during breakfast and in the pool at Janda Baik, they learn as they shy away from the bleating goats in Janda Baik...they learn as they observe their green caterpillar becomes fatter and fatter and suddenly disappear, right in our corridor garden. Hahaha....While Sarah wants to go on a holiday every other day, it would be too disrupting a schedule to do so:)

So part of this year's learning for Sarah and Samuel, I will begin a unit study cum lapbook program for them, and I personalize it by calling it "Big Book Bonanza". Basically, it is introducing them to God's World through Good Books. Many of books I have chosen are award-winning children's books recommended by the following resources:

1.   Honey for a Child’s Heart by Gladys Hunt
2.   The Well Trained Mind by Jessie Wise, Susan Baeur
3.   http://simplycharlottemason.com/planning/eyguide/eyreadalouds/

As a start, I have selected Good Books based on the letters of the Alphabet. Through this selected book, topics and subjects that occur in this book would be picked up to catapult their learning and understanding about the world. For our letter A, which we will commence next week - we will be reading and exploring the book, "How to Make an Apple Pie and See the World". This is an engaging book where the girl goes all over the globe in search of authentic ingredients to make the American Apple Pie. It brings readers to France, to Sri Lanka, to Vermont etc. I am already looking forward to introducing the globe, atlas and some facts about the countries to Sarah. of course, we will also consider Apples - the life cycle, patterns, colors etc. There's so much to catapult to that I hope I don't get carried away. If my strength does not fail me, we will attempt to make an apple pie together. I stumbled upon this great resource http://almostlibrarianat.blogspot.com/ which gives a review of related books and it has helped greatly in expanding each field that I have selected to focus.


In the meantime this week, I am busy setting up our little catapult corner where I can display related books, objects, alphabets etc...and preparing activities for their Big Book Bonanza. I can't wait....

No comments: