Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Educating Sarah and Samuel: To Know God's Word and to Know God's World

[This post is an accumulation of reading and reflection since last October, and the contents are a result of jottings in my notebook and typing on my Big Mac.]

Firstly, the written word, be it through books, internet, online blogs, journals etc have introduced me to the thoughts of many people - mothers, wives, educators, philosophers, and champions in their own fields. What a world of friends I have met in thought, in conviction and in the Lord. Some of them, are truly like clouds of witnesses who have gone the way ahead before and trudge those unchartered grounds to pave the way for people like me - who is only beginning to discover the expansive world out there. I gladly climb onto their shoulders and boast in nothing of myself - for they bring me to heights I would not have known and allow me to see the world that I would not have seen. This is a inheritance and legacy [through books] that I gladly obtain and willing call it my own.

Even in my desperate devouring of books, I find myself only but a few steps ahead of Sarah and Samuel. Because there is so much misconceptions and faulty assumptions and theological err or more aptly theological absence, in my heart and mind to demolish before rebuilding starts again.  But I guess, those few steps ahead is all but necessary to qualify me to teach and train them in the way of the Lord.  So from henceforth 10 Jan 2010 [100110], the demolishing and rebuilding continues in my mind and the building begins in Sarah and Samuel's mind.

When life and time permits, I pray that I would be able to chronicle this whole journey with plain honesty to God and man - categorized  as "Demolishing My Mind", "Rebuilding My Mind", "Rebuilding their Minds". And perhaps, just perhaps, these entries will serve to bring Sarah and Samuel to heights higher than where their mommy started, as they begin their own journey of learning, parenting and teaching their children, and maybe to you too.

I choose to anchor Sarah and Samuel's educational philosophy from a most unlikely passage of scripture about education but an often quoted scripture about the Christian life -


"I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service. 2 And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God". Romans 12:1-2. NKJV


12:1 I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship.Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.

Romans 12:1-2 ESV


Our charge as parents is to present our children as holy dedication unto the Lord - and not just any dedication, but one that He accepts and can use. This reminds me of Hannah as she prepared young Samuel for the work in the temple. While only Christ and His precious blood can present us spiritually acceptable unto God, we as parents can direct and train our children's heart and mind and body and prepare them physically and mentally and socially for God's purpose in their lives .

How then do we prepare our children in heart, mind and body? By training them in God's Word and teaching them about God's World. This distinction picked up from "A Well Trained Mind" is simple and uncomplicated. I like it so much that I will adopt this division in the teaching schedule of Sarah and Samuel.
Firstly, teaching them God's Word will direct them to know their God, and we pray, that they would one day, know of their need of this God and give their lives to Him. Teaching them about God's word will keep them pure as God had originally intended in an unadulterated world. Teaching them about God's word will also help them to discern danger and evils in the world and even in the church.
Secondly, teaching them about God's World will expose, educate and equip them to hold God's banner high as the winds of the world blows relentlessly in their faces. And in holding fast and standing firm and advancing forward, they can bring glory to God in all they whatever do and in wherever they are.

Educational Philosophy: To Know God's Word and to Know God's World

History, Geography, Philosophy, Anthropology, Literature, Science, Maths and Art explored and studied with an open Bible puts all the world into God's perspective and rightly places man in subjection of his Creator God. What a firm footing one would have if one learns in this manner. History, Geography, Philosophy, Anthropology, Literature, Science, Maths and Art studied without the Bible only results in endless pursuit, profession, specialization, expertise, niche and academia [aren't these terms all so familiar in the education system that we grew up with] that really essentially exalts the creature above the creator. To that, man can find no satisfaction and no end because the end is but man, himself.

May the Lord give life, time, persistence, love and preservance as we embark on our own learning journey and training for Sarah and Samuel - to present them as living sacrifices, holy and acceptable to God.

No comments: