Friday, January 01, 2010

Christmas is a Time...

This Christmas, I made deliberate efforts to start some "traditions" going in the family. As I thought about it, I realize that that there is nothing sacred in these traditions and I must not believe that they are anyway religious, lest they serve to bind and trap me in unnecessary laws that I have established for myself, albeit how good and true.

Perhaps, what I hope that these traditions seek to do is to create 'mental pegs' [a term borrowed from "The Well Trained Mind"] in the minds of Sarah and Samuel; that Christmas is a time of remembrance of all the love and grace that God demonstrates and has foreordained since the beginning of the world, fulfilled in the birth and incarnation of His Only Begotten son. And that through the many family traditions that we have started, Sarah and Samuel would return to the familial warmth of the home each December to begin their journey of thankfulness to God and reflection of the year past and for the year ahead in consecration to their God. Haha...my mind is already teeming with more traditions to add on to those we started this year:)


We headed down to Thomson to get our very own Christmas tree. By the time we headed down there in late Dec, most of the little trees were snapped up. I took a while before decided to pay for one blue spruce that promises to last for a couple of years. Well, we will wait and see if that promise comes true. A Christmas tree, some pots of poinsettia, and a pot of hydrangea, we were all ready to welcome our 2nd Christmas together as a family.
 
The kids woke up from their nap that day to help decorate the Christmas tree with deco from Daiso and many little toys from Changi Airport. It was careful fun as the leaves of the spruce was spiky. Sarah was really proud to have her very own Christmas tree. She also managed to help me with the presents by cutting and sticking scotch-tape onto it.


Although I am not a baker, I decided to do a seasonal bake. I have only attempted Chinese cuisine in the early days of my marriage but I have not picked up cooking since two years ago. But the dreamy thought of my children and husband rushing home because they longed to eat their mommy's favourite home baked cookies, over tea and a good book was enough impetus for me to venture into these new grounds. I wanted to bake yummy Oatmeal Cranberry White Chocolate Cookies, inspired by my favorite Crabtree and Evelyn flavours. Any seasoned baker would also detect that the ingredients used would more than make up for any lack of skills in any amateur baker. 3 pretty good attempts and still trying to get that perfect one. Perhaps 2010 will see more success:)


As part of their advent reading, I think I read the nativity story close to about 50 times this December because Sarah loves to hear me read about the shepherds watching the flocks by night and how the angels interrupted their shepherding work. Sarah can repeat the 1st sentence of what the angel say, "Don't be afraid". Then, she would go on in her own sentences. And just for Christmas, instead of falling asleep to the tune of 'Jesus Loves Me' , she opted for 'Away in a Manger'. That's her favorite tune for December. I remembered asking her one night, "Would you like to sleep in a manger? [or more accurately, a stable]" She replied, "No, it's very smelly." Haha...I am definitely looking forward to reading the nativity story from the Bible with Sarah and Samuel next year



We did some cutting and gluing one morning and I think we will pick up more of these in the new year to come.


Of course, as with any other seasons and Christmas, came family and feasting. It is always a great time to catch up with family again and exchange presents and sit around.

Part of what I hope Sarah and Samuel would learn - is to give to others who are less privileged. We combed our cupboards and found new boxes of toys. Happily, we headed down to the Boy's Brigade collection centers only to find out that they have closed for distribution. Unfazed, we drove to the nearest Salvation Army and Sarah and Samuel gave the toys to the person on duty that day. The look on their faces were prizeless and I just wasn't fast enough to catch in on camera. Sarah had hoped that she would see the children as I explained to her that she would be giving her toys to children who do not have as much as she has. As we left Salvation Army that day, Sarah words were, "Where are the children?"


As a tradition that began last year, we sat around and watched the Muppet's Christmas Carol. The language of Charles Dickens is exacting and beautiful and the music of the muppets is magical. I think the adults enjoyed it more than the tots. Well, it's a season for all:)

This year, the presents were mountainous, thanks to the presence of Christmas trees in my house and my in-laws house. It is so much fun buying gifts and heaping them below the tree. Of course, the kids had greater fun opening them and playing with their new toys.

There were much thoughts that I had regarding the incarnation of Jesus, who is God himself. And I hope to pen them down soon...

No comments: