Saturday, July 18, 2009

I am 33!

I remembered sitting at Prof Tay's office during my last visit before the big operation. And he looked at my particulars and commented, "Maybe we can operated you on 18th July because it is your birthday". When I heard that, I was excited...imagine my son having the same birthdate as me. Well...it was not to be. Because of the schedules of other doctors involved in the operation and other considerations, Samuel was to be taken out of me on 15th July. 

It was a good operation...but this time round, the post operation complications were really complicated. On 17th July, at about 1 am, I felt excruciating pain in my abdomen. It was a relentless sharp pain that refused to go away. I think I held my breath for the longest time. When I looked at the clock, it was 3 am and the pain did not let up. By then, I could not remain silent and started beeping the nurses. At 5 am, Dr JJ Chee appeared at the door. She is such a nice doctor who took special care of me and never did I expect that she would come down from her home to see what was wrong with me. They did some checks but no one could figure out what was wrong. By then, with some painkillers, I was much better but the pain still resonated. As morning came, I think I was tired from the pain and not being able to sleep the night before. I knew that I needed help so I smsed my sister and my mom-in-law. That morning, 2 of them came down and they did not know what was the problem but they tried and did all they could to make me feel comfortable. Massaging my abdomen and back ....I had no idea what they knew cos I think they did not know anything. But the amazing thing is they managed to work my intestines and it started to 'wake' up. From morning till late afternoon, they massaged and took turns with great patience and love. I will never forget those hours because the pain gradually went away. 

My surprise birthday party on 18th July was thwarted by this episode. But this episode showed me how much pain one could and would experience and I only marvelled at the 9 months that God took me through for I felt literally no pain through the previous 2 operations as well as the chemotherapy. 

That was my birthday last year. Well, you know, when you come from a devastated past, everything ahead only looks beautiful and you are filled with thanksgiving. That is exactly how I feel. To be able to gather family and friends and remember God's goodness is a tremendous blessing to me. I am glad to be able to do so this year and I pray for years to come. 

No comments: