Friday, April 10, 2009

DJ Adventures Unlimited: Kota Kinabalu 1-4th April

The Kota Kinabalu trip was really very memorable for many reasons. Before this trip, I knew nothing about KK, only that many budget airlines fly there for as cheap as $78. After much surfing and reading and surfing and reading and surfing and reading, a holiday itinerary was formed [and so I thought]. Bookings were made at Mount Heritage Resort and Spa at Kinabalu Park and we were all ready to go. Just 2 days before we were to fly to KK, I stumbled upon a beautiful place as I was surfing for places of interest to visit. It's website is not officially published and it was only through someone's blog that this place was recommended. Well, I don't believe things happen by chance and so, I believe that it was God's providence that we found ourselves there. We thank God for a beautiful holiday and safety as well. 

Day 1
Auntie Chiaochyi was well equipped with flight entertainment for the children. 

Down from the flight, the 8 of us boarded our pre-booked van and off we went in search of our lunch. Lunch was at a popular joint that the locals go to. Just the kind of place we like to go. And it serves delicious fish soup of every kind possible. After lunch, it was a 2 hour journey to Kundasan to our special hidden resort. 

Of course, how can Dan miss eating durians in Malaysia? So we had durian supper before we all went to bed with the many many insects.

Day Two
With all the travelling the previous day, we all decided to sleep in. As the sun peeped over the clouds and sneaked into our room, Sarah and Samuel and Daddy and Mommy refused to get up. Finally, having snoozed for the longest time, mommy decided to set a good example...haha. Thinking that it was 11 am and time for brunch, I was pleasantly surprised to see that it was only 8 am. Amazing. The sun rises real early and so we were all tricked:) A simple breakfast and we were off to a golf course just up the slope from where we stayed. The golf course was to become our favorite hangout during our trip. You will soon see why...Being at the golf course, overlooking Mount Kinabalu was kinda surreal...it was as if we were in a scene taken directly out of  'Sound of Music'. It is awesome and spectacular - surely Someone greater than us created all of this.

[The following are lovely shots taken by my sis in law Chiao Chyi and I am really thankful for her & her ministry to me and my family. ]
This is the family [missing Darrell] which played a pivotal part in my life especially when I was diagnosed with my illness last Jan. I think everyone changed their schedules and perhaps plans in order to support me and Dan as I underwent 3 operations and 6 treatments. I think none of us could even imagine being together like this a year ago...I count it a blessing to be able to take family vacations together.
God's miracle baby 
My lovely family
Me and my beloved hubby
Preparing for our family photoshoot


Little Sarah intruding into Hannah's family shot

That evening, we had a classic dinner in the dark - cos there was a blackout. For a moment, our cosmopolitan-accustomed eyes could not get use to the natural darkness. It was pretty disconcerting but hilarious at the same time. When the light finally came on about half and hour later or so, we all cheered with delight [including Hannah]. I guess we really experienced mountain living in all its reality that night. It was very memorable. Only regret... we couldn't really see what we ate that night:)

Day Three
Whenever people head to Kinabalu, they would either climb the mountain or visit the National Park. Haha...we did neither cos we found beautiful flowers and behemoth butterflies right at our backyard [a pretty good excuse for staying in].



This is the start of our morning walk up the trail - for butterfly catching and mountain trekking.
 

Meet Sarah the butterfly catcher 

Meet Sarah, the flower picker
Meet Sarah - the Hannah catcher. Haha...I can hear Shu Shu David scolding Sarah now.

We had an ambitious BBQ supper planned by my hubby which never came to fruition. It was a bbq of fish, seafood and chicken. As they only sold live chicken in the market, here is the chicken which we ate before it was ---- by Wilnie. 

There are alot more photos...but I'm calling it a night. With CC and mine combined, I think we took close to a few hundred shots. Go onto her flicker at www.chiaochyi.wordpress.com for more shots and in the meantime, this final shot just about sum up my feelings about this trip and why it is so memorable.

What riches we truly receive when we are rid of our luxuries,
What freedom we truly have when we are rid of our obligations,
What beauty we truly behold when we are rid of our excesses

Life in all its simplicity enables us to see 
God in all the fullness of His Glory

"Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God" Matthew 5

No comments: