Friday, January 25, 2008

Chapter One - The Reckoning

21 Jan, Monday

I looked anxiously at the clock in classroom 2N2 -11:35 am. I needed to rush down to Thomson Medical Centre [TMC] by 12 pm for my routine monthly check before Dr M Tan leaves for lunch. Finally the tune of 'Elephant Walk' chimed along the corridor, the signal for students to march off to their next homeroom. With a quick farewell to the class, I headed straight to the car and drove along the expressway. At 11:57, I plopped on the familar red pvc sofa outside Dr M Tan's clinic and waited for my turn. My mom arrived shortly at the clinic. She was my checkup companion that day. At 12:30, my name was called. Greetings as usual and at the back of my head I remembered Daniel's reminder, "Remember to check your cyst". Before climbing onto the bed, I reminded Dr M Tan of my cyst. As I laid on the bed and the ultrasound swept slowly across by abdomen, I could see baby bouncing back and forth. Another active baby - just like Jie Jie Sarah. That brought a smile to my face. But for the first time, I saw clearly another large cavity beside the placenta. It was bigger than the uterus. Dr M Tan took a longer time than usual to look at the cyst. As I made my way down the bed, she said, "I am going to send you upstairs for a more detailed scan. Please return to me after the scan is done."

There goes my afternoon was the first thought that came into my mind. Upstairs with the sonographer, the scan took a very long time. She was trying to capture some clear pictures for the Dr but apparently, she couldn't find my ovaries. The uterus appeared to be in the way. I went down back to Dr M Tan and back up again for another scan. Before I knew it, it was 3 pm. Finally, Dr M Tan concluded my long visit by telling me that she needed to schedule me for an operation the following Tuesday and to be on the safe side, she is having an oncologist onsite. I guess a few words there were suppose to ring the alarm in my head, but I think I was still really not sure what was going on. After speaking with Daniel on the phone, my husband apparently needed some time to do some consultation on his side. When I left the clinic that day, I think Daniel had arranged for me to see a Prof at KKH at 7:45 am the next day.

When I reached home that day about 5:30pm, I was still oblivious to the storm that was brewing. When my in-laws walked through the door, I thought they looked more worried than usual. When Daniel returned home, the first thing he did was to give me a kiss and hug me and he sat on the sofa looking at me with a suppressed look. By this time, I had some inclination that my condition was far worse than I thought it was. As I sat beside him, he spoke about how we have committed our lives to God and were seeking specifically for answers since December 2007. And that in this situation, we can only trust God to deliver us out. From the corner of my eye, I saw my mother-in-law wipe her tears away quickly. What does this all mean? As Daniel and I entered our room, I noticed that his eyes were filled with much sorrow. That immediately opened my floodgates. I think I finally understood the gravity of my situation.

No comments: