Thursday, January 31, 2008

Chapter Three - Breaking the News

It has been a long Monday...but the day has not ended yet. We thought it best to go to Bishan and explain the situation to my parents. As I was just as oblivious about my condition, my mother who was my companion that day was oblivious too. All she knew came from me.
As Daniel, his parents and myself walked through the familiar door, I could sense some anxiety from my parents' questioning glances. We hurriedly dispense with the usual polite greetings, invited our parents to sit down in the living room and Daniel began his explanation in Mandarin, a language familiar to my mother. Doctoring has really equipped Daniel in several languages and dialect. I never really knew that he could speak rather fluently - particularly in expressing some medical terms in Mandarin. It was refreshing to see my husband at work, in a sense that he was breaking the news to the family members of the patient. When Daniel ended his explanation, there was an awkward silence. Almost immediately, my mother started asking questions -relevant and irrelevant. I admit I was irritated. I was upset. I couldn't understand how in such critical situations, she could ask about the credibility of the Prof and other irrelevant things. I confess that I had most probably responded in my flesh to her responses.
In my own frustration, I failed to realize that my mother perhaps did understand the gravity of the situation but simply didn't know how to express her confusion. Daniel gently reminded me after we left Bishan that from the look in my mother's eyes, she did understand. Before we left for home, for once, as a family, we sat down and prayed together that the Lord would show Himself and guide our paths in this situation.
I was exhausted.

No comments: