Friday, March 04, 2011

He's Got the Whole World in his Hands

This kids have been bugging me to start lapbook time but I still need more time to sort things out, the reno, their meals, and preparation for their education. Well, in the meantime, they have been playing with their world map. This is my Christmas present to my kids and partly for myself:) I realize how deficient I was in my understanding of the world around me - Geographically, economically, socially etc. This deficiency has made me myopic in my understanding of God and how He has worked in our world and continues to work in our world. So as part of the reformation of my mind and the training of my kids, I went on a search for a big visual world map to put in their nursery. I stumbled up this felt map from Geosafari. I thought it was great for the kids to have one which they can place felt pieces on. 

We have started learning continents.  The felt pieces are well organized: the names of continents are color coded in brown, countries in yellow. The kids enjoyed it very much...but I think we still need many sessions for them to really remember. For one, they do not know the difference between continents and countries:). 

We consciously allude back to the continents whenever countries crop up in our conversations as well as watching the news. Asia is very relevant for them as we talked about Singapore, Malaysia, Philippines, Vietnam etc. It will still take a while but we are all learning much, and that includes me:)


No comments: