Thursday, March 17, 2011

A Full Day

Today we managed a full day with totnadoes Sarah and Samuel. When I mean full day, I mean no nap:) Sarah and Sammy [especially Sammy] are known for their 3 hr long naps. A typical day for them would start at about 9-9:30 every morning and end about 11:30 every night. 

Well, I must say it was a good full day made possible in our new home there are many things for them to do. They woke up about 9:30-10 today and the weather outside was just right:) As I sat down and ate my breakfast and tried to prepare some material for them to learn...it was amusing to see how Sarah pretended to be the teacher and was teaching Samuel how to trace lines on their book. So, I just stopped preparing and let them teach themselves. Haha...

Looking at the weather and the time, 11 am - it was perfect for our nature walk. But before we did, I decided to take out a present I bought for Sammy last year - a children's microscope. And get the kids interested in some detailed observation. Who better to show them how to use a microscope? Daddy Daniel! We fixed it up and let them view some samples which came with the toy. 


There goes the explorers! We didn't seem to get very far in the neighbourhood because the explorers were stopping every minute to check if the snail shell is empty, to catch sight of the fluttering butterfly, to run away from the trail of busy ants carrying a huge ant, to identify dog poo poo, and to play with the forget-me-nots....



After an hour, we headed home. As I prepared lunch, the kids played with the interactive Preschool Sesame Street CD rom which we borrowed from the library. After a soupy lunch, I was really thinking hard if I should let them forgo their nap and let them play on. Well, Sarah exclaimed, "Mommy, I am not sleepy. I have a lot of energy because I just ate a lot of food." 

So, they moved to the porch where they took out their playdoh toys and played and played. I sat there and read my own book and watched them play and play. By this time, about 3:30, the weather looked exceptionally fantastic for a mid afternoon. After getting them to pack up their mess, that's when we decided to head off to the club pool for a swim. No photos here as we were too busy playing and swimming. We spent another 2.5 hrs there before heading home. 

At home, they watched their favorite Dora DVD as I prepared a quick dinner. And by 8:30, I can tell that the totnadoes were loosing their steam. With the usual bedtime rituals, drinking milk, reading, brushing of teeth and a goodnight prayer, they are fast asleep at 9:30. 

*Yawn*...mommy needs some rest too.





No comments: