Thursday, February 17, 2011

Norman Rockwell with Sarah and Samuel

Learning has been pretty informal with the kids. But perhaps, they learn best this way. For the best few nights, Dan and I talked about pictures at different sittings from our humongous Norman Rockwell Book with the kids. I love the narrative scenes of Norman Rockwell, an American Illustrator. I was exposed Rockwell's work in my late teens when I picked up a mini book from a book sale. Well, my sister knew I liked Norman Rockwell. And she managed to snag me a huge Norman Rockwell Book for 99cts. If you see how huge the book is, you will be amazed too. Since then, I have introduced Norman Rockwell to my students whenever I could.

But looking through Norman Rockwell with Sarah and Samuel brought many pleasant surprises. Firstly, it really trains and hones the kids observation skills and it also their challenges and expand their mental capacity. Its just the nature of Norman Rockwell work because each of his picture really paints a thousand words. It also encourages them to question things they see portrayed in the pictures.

And above all, I hope for my children to develop a taste for things which are good and beautiful. 


After asking Sarah some simple observational questions, I thought I test her on her logical skills.
A: Do you think the men took a long time trying to move the dog out of the way?
Q: Yes...
A: Why do you say so?
Q: Because there are alot of people...waiting
A: You are right. It probably took a while for the people to gather around to see what was the commotion about. 

With that, I happily closed the book:)



No comments: