Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The Reason for Christmas is Only Beginning to Unfold

A thought has been on my mind these couple of weeks - Christ's death on the cross. I thank God for much opportunities to study the book of John in BSF as well as in Sunday School. Even so, I feel that there so much that I am only beginning to realize for the very first time. "The Word was God, the Word was with God, the Word was made flesh". Powerful and profound doctrines in just that verse alone. I pray God would make these truths a living reality in my life - a reality that will cause me to rejoice and praise Him in abandonment of men's approval all the days of my life. 

Sadly, in my religious past, the remembrance of Christ's death on the cross is often passed over, or it receives very little priority in the yearly schedule, minus a song or two. A pity and a real shame. I think as hard as I might to excuse this neglect, but to be honest, I can find no reasonable excuse for this tardiness. Perhaps, the only reasonable explanation is an incomplete understanding of the true message of the gospel. This neglect could be further compounded with the extensive period of celebration for the Chinese New Year and the ever important tests and examination stress that Singaporean students go through during that part of the year. But, if only we all understood the full message of the gospel of Christ , then we would understand how little value are the things we value about. I hope to demolish this tardiness and rebuild this emphasis in my children through a purposeful advent of Christ's death. Sarah and Samuel WILL know the importance of Christ and His Cross. And I pray that God would draw them to Himself through the knowledge given to them. 

To you my dear readers, what does Good Friday mean to you?
  • A public holiday?
  • Another occasion for more drinking, more merrying and more laughter?
  • A resuscitation from the celebrations of Chinese New Year?
  • Another day of recreation?
  • Another breather from work?
  • A day to catch up on homework undone?

Oh, let us not forget Good Friday, because that is the reason for Christmas. Let us not forget Christ's death on the Cross, because that is the reason why He was made flesh and came to dwell amongst men. 

Alas! and did my Savior bleed
And did my Sovereign die?
Would He devote that sacred head
For sinners such as I?
Refrain
At the cross, at the cross where I first saw the light,
And the burden of my heart rolled away,
It was there by faith I received my sight,
And now I am happy all the day!

Thy body slain, sweet Jesus, Thine—
And bathed in its own blood—
While the firm mark of wrath divine,
His Soul in anguish stood.

Was it for crimes that I had done
He groaned upon the tree?
Amazing pity! grace unknown!
And love beyond degree!

Well might the sun in darkness hide
And shut his glories in,
When Christ, the mighty Maker died,
For man the creature’s sin.

Thus might I hide my blushing face
While His dear cross appears,
Dissolve my heart in thankfulness,
And melt my eyes to tears.

But drops of grief can ne’er repay
The debt of love I owe:
Here, Lord, I give my self away
’Tis all that I can do.

Words: Isaac Watts (1707)




It's never too late nor too early to remember and 
ponder Christ's death on the cross for us.

No comments: