Sunday, November 15, 2009

The 1st Belated Birthday Post

Specially Dedicated to My Mother-In-Law: The lady with an Undivided Heart



One of the greatest blessings in my life is my mother-in-law [and CC can readily attest to it]. Knowing her and seeing her life lived out in front of my eyes have taught me much about a life in Christ. She is truly a lady with an undivided heart. I am amazed and very thankful at how selfless and tireless she is when it comes to loving the family. Spending time with her grandchildren is done with an undivided heart. At each time and opportunity to teach and love her grandchildren, she would do so wholeheartedly, even though deadlines may be looming around her. Spending time with her children and her father is very much the same way. Sometimes, even though the way to love her family is fraught with much difficulty, she continues and perseveres because she is clear in her mind what God desires of her. As I grow each day and understand more about the life which God has called us to, I dare say her undivided love towards her family comes from her undivided love towards God.

She loves what God loves and that has given her the propensity to enjoy all the beauty and joys that life has to offer. She also abhors what God hates and that has caused her to stand alone but confidently in the Lord [though with much pain and sorrow] even when circumstances and men are opposed to the ways of God.

When my health took a turn in 2008, it not only took a toll on me, on Daniel but on my mother-in-law and Daniel's family. Her retirement plans were put on hold, or more aptly, they took a different course because of my condition. But never at one time, did I hear her murmur or complain. Instead, with much prayer and seeking, she allowed God to change her plans and course in her life and took on the great responsibility of looking into my meals and ensuring that I am fed good and healthy meals. That meant sourcing recipes, investing much in organic food and tediously preparing meals for me and the family. She not only took pains to provide me physical food but she also cared for my spiritual health. Each time I headed for my chemotherapy sessions, she was there. To cover me in prayers and to massage my back after 4-5 hours of sitting on the chair. But even when her apparent needs are overwhelming, she was not blind to the needs of others. I remembered how she shared the gospel with the daughter of another cancer patient during one session. And to hear how readily the girl wanted to know God revealed to me how that incident was providentially orchestrated. The girl was just waiting for someone to speak to her. And my mother-in-law was the one because she availed herself in all situations. Only a life yielded to Christ can be of such great use. In particular, I will never forget how she carefully memorized Psalm 91 and recited it to me in its entirety on 15 July when I was to undergo my final and biggest operation.

I speak so unreservedly of my mother-in-law because she is to me - a person who honors and glorifies God in life simply by making herself available at every turn in her life to be used of the Lord. And in her, I can see a real life realization of the woman of Proverbs 31. Praise be to God alone.

I am so thankful and blessed. Blessed Birthday Mom!


Her children rise up and call her blessed; 
her husband also, and he praises her:
Proverbs 31: 28

No comments: