Wednesday, October 17, 2012

My Fave Food in Japan - Updating in the Process

As I write this entry, its interesting to see what made it to my list. I think it was food for the much needed occasion. I love authentic Japanese food - for its taste, for the integrity of the ingredients and its preparation - for everything [despite the radiation scare]. 

N/B Huiling, this entry is specially for u as you travel to Tokyo:)

Kyo Hayashiya Japanese Tea Sweets


I was on a lookout for a genuine green tea dessert shop. In my mind, I had envisage a bowl of cold, light mochi like green tea dessert. So, I was literally  'Over the Moon' to stumble upon Kyo Hayashiya. There are several branches of Kyo Hayashiya and I frequented the one at Lumine which was connected to Shinjuku station. It was definitely my fave Green Tea dessert shop in Tokyo. It is a tiny branch that seats 6 persons the most. And the seats all face the wall [like almost every little tiny eatery in Japan]. 

On my first outing there, it was interesting to note that almost everyone indulging in their little green tea desserts there were women. For two reasons, most women were free during the afternoons and women love green tea. But of course, men are not excluded from this green tea indulgence.

On a hot afternoon, sitting there alone, and enjoying my green tea dessert was nice. Real nice. 


Tokyo Disneyland Ice Lolly

I never could imagine that I would spend 300 Yen on this pure ice lolly without blinking an eyelid. But I did and not just one - but 4 - one for Sarah, one for Sammy, one for Rubi and one for me. And we loved it! Because after spending hours in Tokyo Disneyland in the sweltering heat, this was indeed a life saver and a relief. Our ice lolly break allowed us to rest our tired feet, stare blankly into the sky and people watch. Largely for mommy and rubi to stone awhile:) before we headed out to conquer Disneyland again. For the record, we left our hotel at 8:30 am and only reached back home at 11 pm. And the kids were still not tired!! 

Yayoiken

This makes it to our family's fave comfort food joint. Hassle free, easy and freshly cooked food. Yayoiken is a typical Japanese joint and this was just round the corner from where we live. Ordering from a vending machine, getting the ticket and handing it to the staff behind the counter is the modus operandi. I like it this way - where cooks don't handle money and they don't have to wait tables but just concentrate on doing their trade right and good.


Hina Sushi Buffet

This was a really delicious sushi buffet [slightly on the steep side] and I thought the ingredients used were really fresh. Great place to enjoy good sushi. But then again, you can eat good sushi almost in any little shop in Japan.

Osaka: Okonomiyaki 



Tried a few Osaka pancake when we headed to Osaka. These pancakes with some sake were really good. Nothing much like what we are served in Singapore - these were huge, delicious and perpetually kept hot as they were served on huge hot plates built into the tables. 

Menya Muashi
The famous flagship ramen shop in Tokyo was surprisingly near to where we live and tucked in an obscure lane. I guess no trip to Japan is complete without trying their ramen. This was a huge bowl at 1000 Yen and I think we burst ourselves at the seams trying to finish our bowls. Sarah and Sammy did well to share a bowl but I think when they were done, there was still half a bowl left:)

Karuizawa: A Summer Time BBQ
We headed to Karuizawa over one weekend and the owners at the inn prepared a BBQ dinner with the yummiest marbled beef and lots of local vegetables. 

Lastly, the best we did almost everyday in Japan was to stuff ourselves with Kyoto grapes, peaches, nectarines and champagne grapes. Those were the best desserts ever. 


3 comments:

hL said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
hL said...

Thank you!

I can picture myself facing the wall enjoying the green tea dessert... Can't wait! *blissfulsmile*

joannteo said...

Haha. There is a more normal branch at Tokyo midtown- no need to face the wall. Have fun in Tokyo!