Friday, September 03, 2010

If I had all the time and money in the world

Haha...sounds like one of those dreamy and indulgent questions. Well, on the contrary, it was one of the questions in the work manifesto that I did in June Camp.

Q: If I had all the time and the money in the world, I would...

This question initially stumped me and it drew a blank. I asked Daniel why it drew a blank and he answered, because you have not discovered your purpose in life and what you are really meant to do. That got me really thinking hard. For the years of teaching I did and the awards I won, I really did not live life with a zest. Phew. That reality blew my mind. That 4 days of learning about Work and how it matters to God did a great deal in me searching out my purpose in life. And as I relooked that question after those few days, the question made so much sense to me. It simply means, if there were no restrictions, obligations or constrains in your life, what would you be found doing. Suddenly I felt that the list could not end. But I am relief and so thankful. I thank God for helping me recover my zest in life. So even if none on the list would ever happen, here it is.

A: If I had all the time and money in the world, I would: 
1) Return back to university [Harvard, Oxford, Cambridge if they would accept me on compassionate grounds:)] and get a good, solid liberal arts degree
2) Return back to university [Harvard, Oxford and Cambridge if they would accept me on persistent grounds:))] to get a theological degree
2) Get myself an internship with Jamie Oliver and learn how to whip up healthy luxurious meals for my family, an hopefully write a cookbook and receive royalties for the rest of my life. hahah
3) Master adobe photoshop and other useful design software. 
4) Go to the states and sign up for an upholstery course. Then return back to Singapore and refurbish those wonderful looking retro chairs. 
5) Employ a top notch carpenter to make all those wonderful sofas and wing chairs for every nook and corner of our house. 
6) Yes, I would oblige Daniel and follow him as he takes our family and sail around the world. 

Another liberating exercise, I must say.

No comments: