Friday, September 03, 2010

The Great List of Literary Links for Toddlers [that keeps on growing]

This is a growing compilation of useful  links I go to for helping Sarah and Samuel with literacy and their love for books. 

www.starfall.com
a site that is free and where Sarah and Samuel had endless hours of fun and where Sarah mastered navigating using my mac

http://www.rif.org/kids/leadingtoreading/en/leadingtoreading.htm 
just found this site and it looks great and fun. Wish I found it earlier, but better late than never

http://almostlibrarianat.blogspot.com/
I first stumbled onto this site as I searched for other Nancy Tafuri books. A very alive site of great children's recommendations simply because the author of the blog believes in and loves books. What I find part useful are the links to each author's site at the bottom of each entry for the books. It opens up a whole new world of extension and depth for me and eventually for the kids. 

NLB: Recommend a Book
The National Library plays a very important role in Sarah and Sam's literary masterplan. The National Library is a National treasure to me because someone up there truly believes in the power of literary and is willing to put money where their mouth is. I have stopped buying books because our library is very well stocked and also because buying books is a costly exercise as well as a space reducing one:) I only buy activity books for the kids nowadays. So what about those books that are not stocked in the library? I use this is a link to recommend a book - which simply means that if they deem the book suitable, they would purchase it and make it available at our local libraries. To date, the NLB have brought in Trebellina [DVD], Lost and Found [DVD], Mudpies to Magnets and Seasons of a Mother's Heart by Sally Clarkson for me. More to come - A Day with  No Crayons will be a next recommendation for me. 

No comments: