Sunday, May 01, 2005

16-20 March Holidays - Chiang Mai

With Opening Ceremony preparations hot on my heels, schedules, rehearsals, post mortems, prospectus - going off for a holiday did not seem to be much of a reprieve initially. But nevertheless, it gave me a real excuse to dump everything aside and just escape for a while.

I left for Chiang Mai feeling really pensive and thoughtful - not from OC but from an offer of a position in school. While it was universally deemed as good news (very good news in fact), I felt really apprehensive about taking up the offer. But that offer set me thinking about where the Lord was to lead me in the next few years. I had to realize what my role was and what it would mean. So it is with these searching questions, that I, my hubby and my dad and mom in law travelled up the road to Chang Dao, Chiang Mai.

Wednesday

Arrived at Chiang Mai at about 5 pm Thai time. Boarded a chartered van from Chiang Dao Nest (where we were staying). Before heading to our place of stay, we went to the famous Night Bazaar for food and night shopping. Amazing - things had the price tag of Bangkok but there was so little of the Bangkok pollution and crowd. Shopped and ate and shopped and ate.Went to a handicraft centre and saw very very beautiful sketches.

These pictures are mostly me cos everyone was just too lazy to pose for pictures or take them.

Image hosted by Photobucket.comImage hosted by Photobucket.com

Me in the plane. Nice sky-high view.

Image hosted by Photobucket.comImage hosted by Photobucket.com

The van and me hubby boarding it. 4 of us in a 10 seater van...pretty comfy.

Image hosted by Photobucket.comImage hosted by Photobucket.com

Very realistic portraits by the talented Thai artists at Handicraft Centre.

Boarded the van again at 9:30 pm and headed to Chiang Dao Nest. Arrived at 11 pm. Wonderfully cool weather. Reminded me of Awana Genting. The only difference - Outdoor living. Imagine, travelling up the hill and finding a lodge in the middle of tall trees and howling dogs (shudder shudder). But apart from the spartan room, dim lights, no flush-system toilet, a super loud gecko roaming around our roof, and a door which could not be locked, it was really a cosy little place. Really.

Image hosted by Photobucket.comImage hosted by Photobucket.com

This is Chiang Dao Nest. A 1.5 hour drive from the city. I like the simple decor. The menu for dinner is gourmet. Pretty surprising to find all of this in the middle of a jungle.

Image hosted by Photobucket.comImage hosted by Photobucket.com

The view from outside our spartan room

Image hosted by Photobucket.comImage hosted by Photobucket.com

A fresh posy greets you at breakfast. Breakfast - An All American breakfast for 75 baht

Activities [Thurs -Sat]

Image hosted by Photobucket.comImage hosted by Photobucket.com

Daniel riding a baby elephant. I am just right behind him. It took us to one of the villages. Me on a raft cruising along a river.

Image hosted by Photobucket.comImage hosted by Photobucket.com

Trekked up a nature trail just behind our resort. Left our mark - DJ. Look out for it when u go there!

Image hosted by Photobucket.comImage hosted by Photobucket.com

How can we forget the food? First stop - delicious beef noodles at the Chiang Dao - 25 baht. Next stop - was a eatery at Chiang Dao Cave. We ate there about 3-4 times during our stay. Cheap and good food. Each dish - 25 baht.

Interesting and Heart Stopping Excerpts from the trip

Background: On our way back to the resort after dinner. BTW, have I forgotten to mention that there were very few lamp posts and many many many dogs (guide's honour)

Characters: Me, Hubby, Dad and Mom in Law

Genre: Horror

Placing my step cautiously, I gripped my stick tightly. Looking at the lonely road ahead, my eyes flitted quickly to the left and right. "Where are those creatures? Show Yourself", I demanded beneath my breath. I felt that my mind was slowly severing itself from my body. My actions made absolutely no sense. "Walk on", urged my pragmatic and fearless husband. Then, the first howl rang through the deaf silent night. I let out an instinctive scream. This was pertifyingly followed by a barrage of howls and yelps. As I tried to drag my feet along, I could hear the desparate rustling of leaves at the sidelines. I think there were close to 7 or 8 of them. The fear was overwhelming. I felt breathless and a pain in my head. But wedged in the fearless group of my husband and my in laws, I had to move on. The road seemed endless and for once, I wish that I was somewhere else.

Synopsis - Anyway, that was one of the most traumatic experiences I had during the trip. Stray four legged furballs are rampant in Chiang Mai and they bark at each stranger with much gusto. And most of them hope to intimidate humans by appearing in a pack. What sly wolves! Tsk! Tsk!

No comments: