Monday, May 14, 2012

Our [Unintentional] Second Honeymoon



Since we made a decision to travel everywhere as a family [whenever possible] and cherish every moment we have together, I really cannot remember a time when we travelled apart from the kids. Perhaps because there wasn't a time at all:) We have enjoyed every moment lugging our trusty but heavy-as-10 tonnes Phil and Teds and pushing the kids through museums, crowds and climbing the steps in the metros and tubes and heading to family friendly joints. 

But I concede, that there is nothing more precious and refreshing than spending time with Daniel alone in a foreign country. This time, thanks to my in laws and David and Chiao Chyi, I left my kids behind with them in London, hopped onto the train towards St Pancras and boarded the Eurostar to Paris to spend a couple of days with Daniel. It took a total of 5 hours till I finally reached Daniel, but it was well worth it. It almost didn't happen because the night before, Sarah stared at me with the most pitiful eyes and hugged me and pleaded with me not to go. It was pretty heart wrenching but I had to shrug it off and convince myself that they would be just fine, happily playing with their cousins and family. 

It really felt like a second honeymoon and better. We walked down the streets with no itinerary nor deadline but just to soak into the sights, sounds and taste of Paris. Meals were easy affairs of popping into a decent looking restaurants. And thankfully, all were surprisingly satisfying. I especially liked it when we make NO PLANS about our day. A good relief from the daily affairs. 

Vintage art pieces aplenty

Lunch at a boat restaurant docked along the River Seine. It served surprisingly good food. 


And it was great to stumble into great dessert places and have tea. And I love fruit tarts. I think the love is inherited from my Daddy.

Well, strangely, we found ourselves revisiting almost all the places we visited with Sarah and Samuel. The Louvre, the Tulleries, Luxembourg Gardens, a pizza restaurant near the hotel we stayed during our first trip to Paris. Haha...some things run deeper than we can even imagine:)

Outside the Louvre


The Tulleries

We did some planning though...visiting two restaurants. And it was most pleasurable. One was a highly rated Oyster joint - Huitrerie Regis. We were initially baffled at how serving up nature [the freshest oysters ever] could garner this joint its accolades but till today, we can still remember the taste of ocean as we bite into these oysters. It was a pretty gastronomical experience. And it was such a coincidence that in this tiny joint which could only sit about 12-14 people indoors, we met two fellow Singaporeans - a mother and son. We got talking and found out that the son is the owner of Le Bistrot at the Indoor Stadium. They have also come specially to try the much touted oysters here. So, great food and new friends made. I think we will check out Le Bistrot soon:)

2 dozen oysters for both of us. 

For our last day in Paris, we decided to try a Michelin star restaurant before Dan continues his way to South of France and Germany before I return to London. We located one not too far from our hotel and off we went. I love this little restaurant. Service was unobtrusive but detailed. And personal [haha] as we were there early and there was no other at the restaurant so we could finish our meal and catch our trains. 



Dan Appetizer: Foie Gras
 My Appetizer: Quail and quail's egg [done sunny side up] 
- I thought this dish was simply brilliant and very good. 
I am so going to try cooking some quail egg the sunny side up way.
I think Sarah and Sammy would love it. 

 My main: It was the most yummiest delicate fish I have eaten [honestly], 
baked with a crumb topping and set on top of lovely french onion soup.

 Dan's main: Beef [ I think it was good but I can't remember cos my fish was all I remembered]

Desserts: These were ok, not fantastic. Mayb cos my tummy was too full and satisfied by then. 


It was a great weekend getaway - just enough for us to spend lovely time together and just enough time before we started missing our kiddos too much. And guess what, Paris is not too bad. Haha...

No comments: