Friday, August 12, 2011

Jelly Drop Words - One of Our Learning to Read Tools


At least twice a week, I tried to do Jelly Drop words with Sarah and Sammy. Since I introduced Jelly Drops as a reward, it became a fun filler rather than our main learning activities. 

Doing up these words was a learning process. Initially, I wanted to print the words on cardstock and laminate. Then during one of my walks in Daiso, I saw these wonderful precut plastic cards in colors. It was perfect and definitely a timesaver. So, armed with permanent markers and The Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading [bought from an expat mom] and the cards, I started the kids on this last year. But even with these cards, I had to decide which letters to alternate the colors with [the consonants or the non consonants]. Well...it took a few trial and error before writing of the cards went on an autopilot mode. I admit with many things going on last year, I wasn't as consistent as I hope to be. And I have since resolved to do this consistently this year. 


Slowly but surely, the kids are picking up the words and forming sentences with it. Just in case you think I am giving them a sugar overload, they only get 1 jelly drop for every 5 words they read and use accurately. But it looks like I need to up it to 1 jelly drop for every 7 words nowadays. 

No comments: