Friday, June 03, 2011

My Mind: Finally Unkinked

Let me relate to you an incident with my garden hose, one which you too, maybe familiar with. 

We just bought a new 20 m garden hose that comes with a good durable plastic contraption that fits right to the wall. It's a real nifty and beautiful piece. Very neat and handy. For all it's worth, my new 20 m garden hose in its full extension just can't seem to water my plants. I checked the opening and the tap and it was all fine. What I failed to realize that at the end was a kink that was formed. And that kink had rendered my beautiful garden hose useless - useless to fulfill its intended purpose of providing water for our plants and for cleaning. So I went and undo the kink and the true enough, the water flowed. Reminded me of an important lesson, it don't matter how good a material your hose is made out of or even how neat a contraption I had for holding the hose, the water just don't flow the minute there is a kink. Every kink needs to be undone for the streams to flow and fulfill its original purpose.

I have been filling my mind with much reading and literature - spiritual, secular. I read from books on Christian motherhood to Education [spiritual and secular], to the Bible, to cookbooks, to trying to understand how politics inevitably affects our everyday life. ..My mind was slowly increasing in its knowledge but somehow, it was kinked - somewhat trapped. My thoughts were not flowing freely and confidently and I just couldn't figure out why.

Just a week ago, I picked up a book. A secular nondescript book that laid on one of the display tables at our trusty National Library. As I read through it, I realized that my interest was piqued. Not just interest, my whole being. Every free time I had, I read it and I read it till I finished it. And I think I will read it again. All the reading I had done two years since were vital but it remained trapped. This one book in my opinion unkinked the kinks of my mind and made all that I read come into play - an active play of discernment, assessment and examination. 

As I write about what I have learnt, it has also interestingly amalgamate various entries that I have not had the time to pen down -  mainly Daniel's FRCR Exams, My Learnings on Education, the Kiddos Education, Our Spiritual Journey...Well, it seems like I can all fuse it together under "The Mind Unkinked: Relearning about Learning.

My Unkinking Book: [pick it up at the library nearest to you:)]


No comments: