Monday, March 08, 2010

Breakfast Makeover for Kids

Hmm...yes, I finally have time to sit down, scour through the internet, cookery books and articles to work out some nutritious, healthy and of course yummy breakfast for the kids. Not to forget, top of my list is speedy preparation and easy cleanup. I admit, I took a longer time than I had envisage trying to balance organic foods with practicality and reality. I am still working out the finer details but I am so thankful to be able to start on this - one task which has been laying heavy on me. 2 simple breakfast recipes and 2 more to come. 4 would be enough to rotate through the week - till I find out more:)

Breakfast 1: Berry Banana Smoothie



Ingredients Used for 1 Serving [quite specific to assist my grocery shopping]:
  • Organic Blueberries [6-7]
  • Organic Large Strawberries [2] 
  • Half a Banana
  • 2 Tablespoons of Organic Yoghurt
  • 1 Teaspoon Wild Organic Honey



  • Bananas, Blueberries and Strawberries were frozen overnight
  • Blend these fruits with natural fat free yoghurt & add a cup of freshly squeezed orange juice
  • Yup, a very quick nutritious recipe and very easy for the kids to finish. Recommended for the mornings when we need to bolt off to church or somewhere in the morning.

Breakfast 2: Tortilla Wrapped Banana with Chocolate Hazelnut Spread



Found these bowls from lifestorey in my cabinet - part of my crockery buying spree of my past. Woke the kids up and told them that their "Noah's Ark Banana Breakfast" is waiting for them. Sarah and Samuel were really excited and started to do flips on the bed with Mommy and Daddy:) We all did an enthusiastic morning prayer and Sarah did gobble her Noah's Ark quickly. Sammy took a while. 

Breakfast 3: Omelette with Apricot and Cheese
This recipe was partly inspired by Sammy's love for eggs as well as the fact that I had a bag of organic dried apricots which Sarah insisted on buying at NTUC Finest. 
  • 2 large eggs
  • Extra virgin olive oil 
  • Cheese
  • Apricot

Interestingly, with the apricot, you can avoid adding sugar and with the cheese, you can avoid adding salt. It was really yummy...I like it. Sammy like it. Sarah was more looking forward to Noah's Ark. 


I am glad. Back to more recipes:)

No comments: