Sunday, August 23, 2009

Sarah & Her Formidable Memory

Today, just before naptime, Sarah literally made my jaw drop. We have been reading a lot of books before naptime. And I admit, sometimes, I get impatient cos it is just book after book after book before she finally falls asleep. One of her favourite series is Topsy and Tim. We have been reading "Topsy and Tim go on an Aeroplane" on and off for a couple of weeks now. Today, I decided to keep silent at some words to see if she could complete it. And I am absolutely astounded at what she did...

Mommy: Summer...
Sarah: Holidays
 
Mommy: They were going in an...
Sarah: Aeroplane

Mommy: The airport was very...
Sarah: big

Mommy: The bus reached the terminal
Sarah: building

Mommy: They had a long ride on an...
Sarah: escalator [pronounced e-ca-ca-la-tor]

Mommy: The door was high off the...
Sarah: ground

Mommy: "Welcome aboard, said the
Sarah: Stewardess [this kind of made my jaw really really drop]

Mommy: She gave them some...
Sarah: Sweets , comics

Mommy: It will stop your ears from
Sarah: hurting [this  dropped my jaw again]

All the while, I was looking at her eyes and trying to decipher if it was pure memory, or perhaps, recognition of words. But as I tried the story all over again. It was her memory. As she went to the switch to play with lights, she was able to fill in the blanks without even looking at the book. By this time, mommy had enthusiastically jumped out of bed and proclaim this discovery to daddy.

No comments: