Wednesday, August 05, 2009

I am learning all over again...

Through this past year of teaching at School of Tots as well as breaking away from my devastated religious past, I am learning many things all over again. For all the teaching I have done in church since I was 14 years old and not to mention, all the learning that I have received in church since I was 5 years old, I am embarrassed at my own lack of diligence, exploration & questions when it comes to God's word. Sure, I did bible study and even conducted bible study - but to read the word of God plainly and simply allow God & His Spirit to reveal the truth as it is suppose to be revealed was an often neglected exercise.  Truths are always learnt but many times, not first hand. They were often quoted from this great man or that other great man. Perhaps, because the Bible in my religious circle always portrayed as a book that is shrouded with a mysterious cloak of piety that only those who are "called in the ministry" had full liberty and power to interpret - The parallelism is almost uncanny to the Dark Ages. 

Penned axioms like "Let Go, And Let God" are taken as quaint and nifty summaries in place of scriptural truths. These axioms are naturally popular simply because they fit conveniently into the modern day instant take home 5-word-message schema. 

This deficiency is especially acute when it comes to the teaching of familiar children bible stories. Many questions came to my mind as I reread the scriptures to study those all familiar stories of Noah's Ark, Daniel in the Lion's Den. Increasingly, it dawned on me how we teach children bible stories conveniently. Beautiful portrayals and displays of the character of God are reduced to moral lessons of - obedience, disobedience, sin etc...What a pity! because to do that, we would have only gotten to the meat of the story but not the heart of it. 

But I am excited. All is not lost but is only beginning to be found. What liberty we have in Christ and His truth! As I begin my relearning and put it down on record, I invite you [who with sincerity of heart] to join me and rediscover the wonderful truths of God's character which are often misplaced by otherwise popular and ego-centric conclusions which are true but almost always, never the whole picture. It is always about God!

No comments: