Friday, March 27, 2009

Do you know the Shepherd?

With Samuel finally asleep in his cot at the feet of my bed, and Sarah asleep in the other room, I picked up a book to read. But never was I prepared to be so overwhelmed as I was that afternoon when I read the first sermon John Macarthur preached to his church 40 yrs ago on Feb 9th, 1969. The sermon ended with this illustration...

"There was an actor in the drawing room who was asked to recite something for the audience. He stood up and being gracious to his audience said, "I'll recite anything you would like me to recite." No one suggested anything at first. But an old preacher who happened to be there, sitting in the back of the room, stood up and said, "I'd like to hear you recite the twenty-third Psalm."
Well, the actor was a little shocked at that, but he made himself available to recite anything that was requested, so he did what the man asked. He happened to know the Psalm, so he said he would recite it. He repeated the twenty third Psalm with complete eloquence - it was a masterful interpretation. His diction was beautiful. When he finished, the entire room of people erupted into spontaneous applause.
The actor, figuring he could get back at the old gentleman for suggesting he recite something from the Bible, said, "Now sir, I'd like to hear you recite it." The old man hadn't bargained for that. But because of his love for Christ he stood up and repeated the twenty-third Psalm. His voice cracked, it broke and it wasn't very beautiful. The interpretation wasn't really that good either. When he finished, there was no applause. But there wasn't a dry eye in the room.
The actor, sensing his own emotion, stood up and said, "Ladies and gentlemen,  I reached your eyes and ears, and he reached your heart. The difference is: "I know the Psalm; but he knows the Shepherd."

That final sentence meant and means so much to me...the Psalm and the Shepherd. Christ is my Shepherd and I will say it again and again. Throughout my life, Christ has taken a keen interest in everything that I do, whether I was aware or not. Everytime, when my circumstances seems wanting, He has provided abundantly and I lacked nothing. Everytime, when I'm faced with a treacherous path, He is there to lead, to guide and to comfort me with his rod and staff. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me...because Christ is my Shepherd.  I still feel that there is so much I do not know about Him but I am excited that He has given me life to know Him intimately. What about you my dear friends, Do you Know the Shepherd? - for that is the Heart of His message

We sing songs about Christ; 
But do we know & love the Christ whom we sing?
We spend much time with God's people;
 But do we know & love the God who gives us life and time with His people?
We talk so much about Christ;
But do we know & love the Christ whom we talk about?

Psalm 23 

The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
He makes me to lie down in green pastures;
He leads me beside the still waters.
He restores my soul;
He leads me in the paths of righteousness for His name's sake. 
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil; For You are with me;
Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;
You anoint my head with oil;My cup runs over.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life;
And I will dwell in the house of the LORD Forever.

No comments: