Saturday, February 02, 2008

Chapter Seven - The Gathering of God's People

And they continued steadfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, in the breaking of bread, and in prayers. Then fear came upon every soul, and many wonders and signs were done through the apostles. Now all who believed were together, and had all things in common, and sold their possessions and goods, and divided them among all, as anyone had need. So continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, they ate their food with gladness and simplicity of heart, praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily those who were being saved.
Acts 2:42-47
I am not sure if I experienced a glimpse of the church of Acts, but what happened in the next few days greatly warmed my heart. From the second night when the emails and smses went out, different groups of people have entered our house to encourage and pray with us. It was also wonderful that our family started to pray together nightly at length and fellowshipped in the Word.
First to come was Sarah's Godparents - Melvin, Viola and Daniel's other colleagues Jonathan and Karen. Following that, my Uncle Amos, Auntie Maggie and my cousins; Auntie Joy and Uncle Kwai Sung; a walk along our favourite stretch of East Coast with Dr Chua on 2 occasions; My cousin Gayle and Peter; not to forget brave Zhiqiang who came alone to minister to us, Auntie Fong Meng who prepared lunch on 2 occasions and Auntie Lai Moi who bought fresh fish to boost my health. A pity I missed a meeting with Diana before she flew off for her bible studies due to my schedule. Each of these gatherings ended off with prayer for us. Beyond the prayers that went out on our behalf, it was the manner in which we meet that touched me. Surely, this is the pattern that God meant for us as Christians just as the Christians in the early church.
Here, I would like to express my heartfelt thanks to many of you who have prayed for us and are praying for us. The emails and smses that you have all sent in response to our emails are much treasured and stored. May the Lord continue to teach us how to pray as we seek His face in purity of heart.

No comments: