Friday, April 14, 2006

What Good Friday means to me...

"For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God." 1 Corinthians 1:18
Good Friday is all about "Jesus Christ" and what He did for us on the cross that day. Perhaps, to some, it is a name in History, to others, a subject of controversy, and sadly, to some, a name used amidst anger and expletives.
Good Friday was a day in history when God fulfilled His love and promise to mankind. When Jesus Christ died on the cross that day, a penalty fitting for the hardest of criminals, He lifted us out of condemnation from our sins and gave us the hope of being able to come to God freely. We just have to believe and call on Him. Good Fridays have thus become a day of remembrance of that great act of love and sacrifice.
When I was Primary Four and attending children's camp, I didn't know much about the bible. But in my simple understand, I knew that even as a 10 year old girl, in all my mischief, in all my tantrums and in all my defiance, I was not a perfect little girl. On the first evening of night messages, I heard how Jesus Christ left all His glories in heaven and humbled Himself, even to the point of subjecting Himself to the whimps and fancies of His own creation. Jesus endured all the pain and suffering because only the blood of a holy God can cleanse the sins of an unholy people. That touched me as a little girl and I raised my hand every other night. In my simple understanding, I did not understand why the whole camp did not do so. How could one hear this message and refuse it? Well, they eventually did ask me to stop raising my hands.
"Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men. And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross. Therefore God also has highly exalted Him and given Him the name which is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth, and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. " Philippians 2:5-11
The world tells us that many roads lead to God. But Bible tells us that there is only one way - through Jesus and what He did for us on the cross that day.
"I am the way, the truth, and the life.
No one comes to the Father except through Me" John 14:6

So dear friend, what does Good Friday mean to you? A public holiday, A time for partying and merrying making, A time to spectate at the customs and traditions associated with Good Friday or is it a time when you remember what your Creator has done for you many years ago and a time of thanksgiving?

No comments: