Sunday, August 03, 2014

George Lakoff and a 6 year old

Bantering with my faithful companion after dropping Sarah off at school.

Me: Ok, so we are going to swing by the library and if we need to, we will hang around till our next appointment. 
Sammy: Mommy, why do you use monkey terms?
Me: huh?
Sammy: You said “swing by” and “hang around”. They sound ..so …so monkey.
Me: huh? Oh….those are expressions. Hahaha...Come to think of it, you are right. These are monkey terms. 

I was quickly brought back in time to my days in Uni where we grew white hairs over Halliday and Chomsky. Maybe it would be different if I did it again.
 But George Lakoff and his theory of metaphors was what I based my honors thesis on. That was real and practical. That we use metaphors everyday - sometimes unconsciously. 
So here I was using perhaps a playground metaphor in describing my movements or in Sammy's terms - monkey words. And he detected it. 

Me: Stop clowning around. Where do you think that metaphor is taken from?
Sammy: The circus! 

That’s my linguistic professor in the making -very acutely aware of the nuances of language and its play. Well, his dream job is to be a Language Professor - inspired by the Professor from Leapfrog Letter Factory hahaha. Fancy that.

No comments: