Friday, January 25, 2013

A Time Out that God knew I needed more than Myself

Since we came back from Cameron, I kinda switched onto 6th gear and tried to be a superwoman to get the house a little more ready for the CNY. It was a good time to do up the house and pick up from where we left off two years ago. From buying a carload of furniture from Ikea, to supervising the gardeners, to the electricians, the the contractor, to teaching the kids and getting my exercise routine on the roll. It finally took a toll last Saturday, rather unexpectedly. 

We were looking forward to our very first trek into the mangrove swamp. On Saturday morning, we heard rain fall outside our windows. At 7 am - quite an unusual phenomena. We were not exactly prepared for rain to dampen our trip. But we knew we couldn't fight the rain. The rain just poured and poured. Since 7 am, I was up. And I was not feeling too comfortable. I have been tossing around because I could feel my temperature rising but still lazing around the bed with Sarah, Sammy and Daddy. Then without much warning, I felt my teeth start to chatter and the body started to shake involuntarily. Tried as I might, I couldn't muster enough strength to stop the shaking. By this time, Daniel has sprung out of bed highly alert and I knew that his brain was working. Sarah upon seeing me in this state, burst out crying. This went on for about 10 mins or more but it felt like 30 mins. Everyone was deployed to see how to help me.

What hit me was an upper urinary tract infection.

That Saturday, we all headed back to my daddy and mommy's place where I was to begin a week of close monitoring and recuperation. I felt exhausted and thirsty and literally slept through my weekend and the rest of the week, my body recovered slowly but surely. 

It was a time out that I did not plan.
It was a time out that God was in control and He knew better. We shudder to think what would happen if I started to react involuntarily in the middle of a mangrove swamp with no medication or help in sight. The rain held back our plans.
It was a time out that I could repay my sleep debt.
It was a time out that I could spend time with my parents.
It was a time out that I could remember my family and friends who love me and would always cover me in prayers.
It was a time out which taught me (us) to slow down.
It was a time out that reminded me of the 206th (Sarah's fave number) time that I am not a superwoman. 
It was a time out to remind me what is truly important in my life.
It was a time out that was much needed. And only God knew that. 


No comments: