Thursday, July 12, 2012

4 Years and Counting

Today is July 12 - 3 days short of July 15. Always an emotional time. Always a reflective time. Always a time of praise and thanksgiving. 

In a year fraught with many life threatening decisions to make, I was yet faced with another difficult situation in July 2008 [i think this is something that I have never blogged about]. I was about done with my fifth cycle of chemotherapy. My sixth and final cycle was another dilemma. There were two options. The first option: Should I go ahead with my sixth cycle of treatment? Doing so would mean that my body and bloods would have lesser time to recover before my scheduled caesarean and hysterectomy. That might bring about a host of complications during operation. The second option: Should I wait till Samuel is delivered before I resume my final cycle. A break in the cycle might render the previous cycles less effective and there may be a chance of recurrence. These options were really not the easiest to make and each option paved roads unknown. [Side note: It's stuff like these that reset my perspective and made me realize what are the essentials and non-essentials in life. Enables me to shrug my shoulders easily over trivial things]

Well..we eventually opted for the former - to go ahead with my final cycle. That was after deliberation and prayer and understanding why we did our chemotherapy in the first place. As we entered the month of July, my bloods fell dangerously low at one point of time. The implications could mean an inability for my blood to clot during the operation and it could mean serious blood loss. There were quick decisions for blood transfusion to be done. So, when I though my hospital days were over till July 15, it wasn't. I headed to the hospital for another two times to do my blood infusions. 

After close to 6 months of treatment, my body has taken a toil. Nurses were finding it hard to locate my veins. We could only pray that my body could withstand the long operation that was to happen on July 15.  Miraculously it did. And I know that it was the Lord who who carried me through this journey, and perhaps my family too. 

So, on July 15 2008, by the grace and to the glory of God, our dear Sammy was born [like a little lizard] - with legs and limbs as fragile as toothpicks. But he was a precious precious gift from God. In And so here we are now, 4 years and counting. 

Blessed birthday precious Sammy Boy - our emblem of God's grace, hope, faithfulness and power! To God be the glory. 

Samuel Tan Hsien Ern [Xian En] - The Lord has Heard


A Scrap Page by Auntie Chiao Chi


A special birthday drum cake from Godpa, Godma and Elliot:)



2 comments:

Mark Cranfield said...

Thank you for sharing this, God puts everything in perspective for us.
God bless, Mark

Mark Cranfield said...

Thank you for sharing this, God puts everything in perspective for us.
God bless, Mark