Friday, March 28, 2008

Chapter Nine - The Heavenly Reunion

As the events of 2008 unfolded, we all thought there would not be any reunion dinners because my operation was slated on the 4th Feb [the week of CNY celebrations]. But the Lord provided a heavenly reunion that was to last beyond all the festivities.
In my earlier entry, one of my long standing prayer was for my mommy to accept the Lord as her personal Saviour. My mommy has never rejected the Lord's teaching nor the church's ways for our lives. In fact, she was the one who planned that we attended a Christian kindergarten as well as brought us to Sunday school because she wanted us to learn the right and good ways of being a person. For that, I am very thankful. All these made a difference in my sister's and my life. However, these things that she did for us made no difference in her life as long as she did not give up her life, her thoughts, her ideas to God.
That Sunday, my sister and Henry, my brother-in-law decided to speak to my mother again. So as planned, after dinner and a time of prayer together, Daniel and I brought Sarah home so that my mother would not be distracted by her. That night, they shared the gospel with her. It wasn't easy for my mother to accept the Lord during this time of crisis - she felt in a way that she was cheating and taking advantage of God by coming to Him in a time of desperate need. This is really not new... I have heard of this reason used by many people. Many feel a need to get their life in order before coming to the Lord. But you know what, when people get their lives in order, they realize that they don't need God. But, it is precisely because our most desperate, helpless and needy plight that Christ came down to die on the cross for. He wants to save us 'Just As We Are'.
For the Son of Man has come to seek and to save that which was lost."
Luke 19:10
I thank God that my mother saw that night that it was no longer about her - her perceptions, her ideas and what she thought about herself. But rather that salvation is all about the Lord and what He has done for us - to save us from the penalty of sin through His precious blood which He shed on the cross. The weather was interesting at the time my mother prayed the sinner's prayer with Henry - but I shall not elaborate to dramatize it more than needed.
When my sister called me and told me that my mother accepted the Lord - my emotions were really mixed. But they all manifested through tears of joy, mingled more with shame [in all honesty]. Joy for reasons plain and clear. Shame because while my mother's salvation was a matter of prayer - it was not desperate nor consistent in my life. That the Lord worked His wonderful gift of salvation that night inspite of me, made me realized that it was not about me nor anyone but simply that the Lord desires all to be saved. Imagine what years we could have saved and how many loved ones would have come to know Him if we fell at our knees everyday and plead with Him to save.
Ironically, I think the Lord taught me much that night then all the nights put together since I have learnt about my condition.

No comments: