Sunday, May 28, 2006

"Life is For Ministry"

These four words rang loud throughout the messages today ... and I believe it is the motto of the life of Dr John Hutcheson and his wife. These words are strangely familiar because my husband always reminds me of the very same thing. Those precious Saturdays or public holidays where I can seemingly and justifiably rest from the hectic week, or even catch up on some marking like the rest of my colleagues and conveniently excuse myself from youth ministry or fellowships, Daniel would look me in the eye and assert firmly, "Joann, Life is For Ministry". In all honesty, I may whine or convince myself otherwise...but recalling all that Christ has done for me on the cross of calvary and how He has shown His wonderful grace to me when I least deserved it, it doesn't take long before I am silenced and humbled. A timely but much needed reminder particularly in a world that preoccupies us with what we can achieve and gain for ourselves, where the success of an individual is measured by the extent of wealth and power that one attains. "But they FIRST gave themselves to the Lord" 2 Corinthians 8:5

But true change is not solely based on a decision we make to give our lives to God but as Dr John Hutcheson says - A God Centred Life. To read His word, to pray each day, to love Him. Soon, we remember that it is God who has given us all our time, our talents, our possessions, our family... nothing belongs to us. Then, that life of surrender comes naturally.

Moreover, brethren, we make known to you the grace of God bestowed on the churches of Macedonia: 2 that in a great trial of affliction the abundance of their joy and their deep poverty abounded in the riches of their liberality. 3 For I bear witness that according to their ability, yes, and beyond their ability, they were freely willing, 4 imploring us with much urgency that we would receive the gift and the fellowship of the ministering to the saints. 5 And not only as we had hoped, but they first gave themselves to the Lord, and then to us by the will of God. 6 So we urged Titus, that as he had begun, so he would also complete this grace in you as well. 2 Corinthians 8:1-6

Beyond blessings, these series of messages have stirred my heart and prompted me to pray again for God's direction in my life. Pray for me as Daniel and we seek the Lord's direction in our ministries. Well,....I can't wait for June camp where the word of God would be preached unashamedly everyday.

Invitation:
For those who cannot come to camp and want your heart to be stirred, there are special meetings this Thurs-Sat 8-9:30 at 3A Lichfield Road [Serangoon Garden Way]. Hope you can come. If not, feel free to click on this link to hear his sermon - A God Centred Life & Power in Paper Cups. I am sure your heart will be blessed.
Dr John Hutcheson

No comments: